The Tom Tom Club

Join the Owners Club for Naim Users

I have just taken delivery of my new NDS and 555dr ps. James did a good deal which included him taking away half my system. So it was goodbye to my CDS3, NDX, XPS2, nDAC and my older 555ps. I had decided to get a new 555 dr ps rather than having my older one upgraded.

Anyway, Henry came along and as a bonus so did Jason, one of the Naim sales reps who had been visiting a couple of local dealers. My  best friend was also with us as he is also a big Naim fan.

The NDS was installed with my original 555. After a while we swapped out my 555 and installed the new 555 dr . I was really impressed. It sounded great and the new dr version again showed how much better it was than my older version.

Then it all went wrong!

Naim say that the NDS is upgradeable by the addition of two 555 power supplies so as I had two on site I thought I would give it a go. Jason recommended that we put my older 555 on the digital side and the new dr 555 on the analogue side.

Frankly, I was expecting the addition of a second 555 to be overkill and of marginal benefit. How wrong I was!

The music became more relaxed, more natural, more spacious and more lifelike.  The background was quieter. A free FLAC download of The First Time ever I saw your face by Emily Barker improved and improved and sounded amazing as the second 555 did its thing and as the system warmed up.

Henry took away my old stuff apart from my old 555 which he said I could hang onto for a few days.

The more I have listened the more I have liked what the two 555's do.

Well today I spoke to James who has just come back from a well earned holiday and have ordered another new 555dr.

Am I mad and obsessive - probably. Am I incredibly lucky - well in one way yes but unfortunately, I only came into some spare dosh because my dear old Mum died last year so I will think of her whenever I play music.

The point of this post - firstly to thank James and Henry for their help and secondly to say that Naim have done a fantastic job with the NDS and the dr upgrades.

Finally, I guess the main point is to listen to something instead of dismissing it. I  doubt I would have thought of going beyond a single 555ps as being cost effective - but then hearing it for myself changed all that.

The next part of the jigsaw is to save up for the dr upgrade to the 552. Even if I don't get that far my system is now sounding better than ever before thanks to James and the team.

Views: 2551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks very much for the feedback Graham and for you kind words. I'm simply delighted that you are so pleased with the upgrades and I cannot wait to come and install the second 555PS DR and have a listen myself. The last time I was there the results we were getting were just magical so I know I'm in for a real treat.

Thank you so much for the continued business mate, you're a true gent.

Cheers

James

RSS

Forum

Welcome to the Tom Tom Club

About the Tom Tom Club

2 discussions

The Naim Archive

8 discussions

Your Naim Story

The place to post details of your Naim systems

43 discussions

Photos

• Add Photos

Latest Activity

Tom Tom Audio posted a blog post

You bought the amplifier...Now get the T-Shirt!!

We are delighted to now offer the full range of official Naim Merchandise to purchase on our on-line shop, alongside a full range of Naim parts & accessories plus the largest selection of pre-loved Naim components on the planet.Take a look here Genuine Naim Audio parts, cables and audio accessories (tomtomaudioshop.com)…See More
Feb 24, 2021
Profile IconNeil Harper, Tim Crowe, Owen Rothwell and 9 more joined The Tom Tom Club
Feb 24, 2021
Profile IconPaul Reiterbund, Adrian Jewell, Howard Brookes and 10 more joined The Tom Tom Club
Sep 9, 2020
Tom Tom Audio posted a blog post

Welcome Back

We are delighted to announce that from Monday 15th June we will be re-opening our showroom for demonstrations by appointment only. With private parking right next to our building and thorough cleaning of the demonstration area between visitors, we are able to offer you a safe ’socially-distanced’ environment in which to evaluate your next upgrade with complete peace of…See More
Jun 11, 2020
Tom Tom Audio posted blog posts
Apr 9, 2020
Tom Tom Audio posted blog posts
Apr 1, 2020
A blog post by Tom Tom Audio was featured

Keeping a Safe Distance

By taking every precaution I’ve managed to keep our on-line shop open for parts, accessories and pre-loved items: - click here  https://tomtomaudioshop.com/See More
Apr 1, 2020
Profile IconRobbie Inglis and Andrew Ashby joined The Tom Tom Club
Apr 1, 2020

© 2024   Created by Tom Tom Audio.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service